Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Monsoons……. A season closest to my heart

Raindrops keep fallin’ on my head……. Every time I hear this song, childhood memories flood my mind.

Having grown up in Mumbai, where Monsoons are pretty rough and the rainfall is generally heavy, monsoons have always marked special occasions in my life. Whether it was moving to a new class at the beginning of a new academic year, or something as simple as ganging up with friends and dancing in the rain. It’s all been a part of growing up, a part of my life that will always remain close to my heart!!

Memories of bygones, the fun, the laughter, those carefree days, I miss them all, and wonder whether life would ever be the same. I could just dance in the rain with friends, or eat garam garam butthas at Marine Drive with the waves lashing at the rocks and rain drops falling on my head.

Those were the days when simple things gave me pleasure, when small things made me smile. I wonder where it’s lost now. I wonder where it's gone? Amidst ambitions, long working hours, financial needs, future plans, all those beautiful ol’ times seem so far away. Sometimes I sit and wonder, what am I getting at? Why can’t I derive pleasure and happiness from small things in life? Why can’t I just get myself to dance in the rain again, like I used to, for so many years as a kid. Why can’t I relive that anticipation and excitement of going to the next class as I used to when I was younger.

As we grow up, most of us get lost in our daily mundane chores that leave us no time to experience what we used to love the most. We run behind material things without even realizing what we’re probably missing by ignoring the small joys that come our way.

Every time I stand in my balcony and watch the rain, I wonder, what stops me from taking a walk in the rain like I used to. I wonder why I am worried about what people would say. Those little joys that could fill my life with happiness are just around the corner, but something stops me from getting to them, and that something is my own reservations.

Maybe sometime soon, I will chuck those reservations, and just take a walk in the rain like I used to, and have fun like always, and experience the sheer thrill of it, just the same way as I used to as a small child. I will let the monsoons touch my soul like it used to when I was younger and feel the joy of it.

Rain Rain, come my way, and let me play again today!

No comments: